Your Path to a Green Card

By striving to unify or keep families together, we devote personal attention to each of our clients to help them with their unique immigration needs. Whether you need to apply for a relative to come to this country through consular processing, seeking a Green Card through marriage, Permanent Residency by Adjustment of Status in the United States, or need to remove conditions on your green card, our Firm is here to help you every step of the way.

Green Card Renewal

The Permanent Resident Card, or Green Card, must be renewed prior to its expiration. In general, the Green Card is valid for ten (10) years. Lawful Permanent Residents need their Green Card as evidence of status for work authorization, government benefits, financial services, travel and more. If you lose your Green Card or it if gets damaged or destroyed in some way, then you will need to replace it. Although when a green card expires, your permanent residency does not, it is important to renew the green card as required by the U.S. government.

Green Card Replacement

There are several reasons why someone may need to replace their Green Card. For example, the card may be lost, stolen or have errors on it that need to be corrected. Under these circumstances, one should not delay in replacing their Green Card. Keep in mind, a lawful permanent resident is required to carry a Green Card at all times.

Family Based Green Card

In order to obtain a Green Card for a family member, a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident must file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with USCIS. A U.S. citizen who seeks to petition for his or her family member must establish that their relationship to the family member is one of a spouse, parent, sibling or child. Unfortunately, A Lawful Permanent Resident is limited to only being able to petition for a spouse or child.

Conditional Green Card

As a general rule, when someone obtains a Green Card through a marriage that is less than two years at the time the green card application is filed, then the permanent residency card issued will be conditional. Conditions are imposed on the status of the permanent resident as a means for the government and other relevant authorities to ensure that the marriage is not fraudulent or entered into for the purpose of obtaining the green card.

To get help with obtaining your Green Card and to speak with an immigration lawyer, contact Marisol L. Escalante at our Firm today! (720) 259-8610