Helping Families Stay Together

  1. Home
  2.  ~ 
  3. Green Card
  4.  ~ How can you help your children immigrate to the U.S.?

How can you help your children immigrate to the U.S.?

On Behalf of | Dec 8, 2022 | Green Card

Living in the U.S. is a privilege. If you have gone through the immigration process, you know how challenging it can be. 

You may have family, even children, living abroad that you don’t get to see very often. For example, you may have had children with someone who was a citizen of another country and want to help them come to the U.S., too. 

There are options for you to help your children immigrate to the U.S. For example, you can file an immigration petition for them, and if they pass the background check and you can prove your relationship, they may receive green cards or visas. Learn more about this here. 

What to do if you are a U.S. citizen

As a U.S. citizen, you have several options to help your children come to the country. The easiest process is for unmarried children under age 21. However, you can also sponsor your unmarried children who are over 21. You can also take advantage of a program that allows you to bring your married child, their children and spouse to the U.S. 

What to do if you have a green card

If you have qualified for a green card, you can become a permanent resident. As a permanent resident, you have peace of mind that you can remain in the U.S. legally for the rest of your life. Also, with permanent resident status, you have more options to help family members come to the U.S. than those with work visas. 

It may be possible for you to sponsor your children to come to the country or get a green card. You can submit a petition for children under 21 years of age or use a lower-priority program for children over age 21. 

Immigrating to the U.S. may seem challenging; however, you have legal rights and options. Knowing these will help you take the right steps to get the ones you love to the U.S.